Do you love to help people succeed and achieve their goals? Dreamcatchers Empowerment Network is a non-profit agency helping people with disabilities to prepare for, obtain and maintain employment within the community. Dreamcatchers is seeking a Peer Support Wellness Advocate to walk with individuals and assist them on their journey towards employment.
The Peer Support Wellness Advocate works in a team setting as one component of the clients coordinated care. The Peer Support Wellness Advocate is an advocate for the client and maintains a relationship with the client that fosters trust and understanding distinct from a provider role. This position helps clients navigate the local mental health system and obtain the services that are necessary for stability and wellness including accessing community supports. Peer Support Wellness Advocate identifies as a consumer and utilizes personal life experience when working with clients.
1. Minimum of a High School Diploma
2. Identifies as a consumer of services
3. Completed peer support training (certificate) is preferred
4. Strong knowledge of mental health system in Fresno County
5. Experience in case management/human services/educational system.
6. Valid California driver’s license with personal vehicle to travel within county.
7. Bilingual in Spanish or Hmong preferred
- Assist with development, evaluate, and implement treatment goals and plans in conjunction with the treatment team.
- Assist clients in preparing for health care/treatment visits and appointments and managing complex health systems.
- Meets with clients to talk about the work or educational goals, how to develop plans to accomplish goals and identify what assistance or supports may be needed
- Provides a consistent source of encouragement, hope, and non-judgmental support to clients.
- Serves as a to clients, models effective coping and wellness strategies. Includes the sharing of person stories to inspire others.
- Participates in providing a variety of support services for clients (e.g. support groups, activities, outreach, attending appointments, home and community-based visits). Conduct outreach activities in local communities.
- Works as a part of a treatment team with Behavioral Health Clinicians, Case Managers, and county agencies and individuals to coordinate care.
- Participates in staff meetings, provide feedback, and troubleshoot barriers faced by clients. Assist with coordination of care offering input on client progress and the development of the program.
- Advocate on behalf of consumers and promote self-advocacy; maintain consumer networks in the community.
- Ability to remain calm in crisis or emergent situations.
- Must demonstrate a sincere interest in the welfare of peers, including the ability to see each person as a unique individual.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and strong ability to maintain proper professional boundaries.
- Must be able to function as an effective role model as a person in recovery to inspire hope, share life experiences and lessons learned.
- Must be able to effectively communicate information in both oral and written forms; must be able to present and exchange information internally across teams and co-workers, and externally with clients and the public.
A. Documentation Responsibilities
1. Completes required paperwork, including case notes, employment or education plan, and other documentation. Enter data in a timely and accurate manner.
2. Maintain written communication updates with County Mental Health, Department of Rehabilitation and partners.
Candidates must be able to travel and maneuver within the community to meet clients and employers daily. This is a Non-Exempt (hourly) position with company benefits such as: vacation & sick time, mileage reimbursement, professional development, training opportunity, annual staff retreat, and a holiday party.
Dreamcatchers is an EEO/AA/Minority/F/Vet/Disability Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. To learn more about us visit us at https://www.dreamcatchersnetwork.org/home/
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
Masking, temperature screening and maintaining distance is required by staff and clients within the office.